Yoast SEO Setup Guide:
As we all know Yoast SEO plugin is one of the most loved Search Engine Optimization plugins by WordPress users. In this tutorial, I will give you a full idea of Yoast SEO setup guide so that you can configure your website for SEO easily.
Yoast SEO is so popular due to its simple user interface and various pages and posts optimization features. Now before getting deep, you must have a WordPress website.
I have made a tutorial on how to build website with WordPress before. If you do not have a WordPress website then make it first and configure it for SEO.
- Best SEO Plugin for WordPress to optimize your website
- WordPress Managed Hosting or Regular Hosting?
About Yoast SEO WordPress Plugin:
Yoast SEO plugin is very simple and easy to use. You can simply install it from Plugins directory and use it. It is developed by Yoast firm in Wijchen, Netherlands.
It provides various options which help you in optimizing your whole website completely. You can optimize posts, pages(including homepage) and categories also. You will get more details when we discuss Yoast SEO setup guide in this article below.
Features of Yoast SEO Plugin:
Now before discussing Yoast SEO setup guide, let me quickly tell you its features. We have two versions of Yoast SEO. One is free and another one is paid. Free one has limited features and Paid one is loaded with all the necessary features.
1.Yoast SEO Free Version: It has some limited features mentioned below:
- Optimize only one keyword, check keyword density
- Only Google results in preview available
- Check Readability, title and meta description
- Limited Breadcrumbs control
- Limited duplicate content protection
2. Yoast SEO Premium Plugin: On the other hand premium version has some extra features mentioned below:
- Optimize up to 5 keywords in single article
- Provide Google, Facebook and twitter previews
- Analyze the readability of the article and calculate the Flesch Reading Ease score
- Full Breadcrumbs control
- Setting up canonical URLs
- Internal Links suggestion & Content Insight
- Redirect Management
- Ads Free and 24/7 Support available
Installing Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress:
To install any plugin we have two methods. One is from WordPress directory and another one is simply uploading it in ZIP format. In this, I will install it via WordPress Directory.
Yoast SEO Setup Procedure:
1.First, go to WordPress Dashboard, move the mouse cursor to Plugins and click on Add New option. As shown below:
2.You will be redirected to plugin search page. In the search bar type Yoast SEO and you will see following results:
3. Click on Install Now and then Activate it. As soon as it is activated you will see SEO option in your dashboard which means your Yoast SEO setup installation in complete and ready to use.
So this is how you can install Yoast SEO setup in your WordPress website. Now let’s have a look on Yoast SEO setup guide.
Yoast SEO setup to optimize your website for SEO:
1.The first step is going to dashboard and click on SEO option as shown below:
2. Now you will see the main page of WordPress SEO plugin with various tabs like Dashboard, General Features, Your Info, Webmaster tools and Security. As shown below:
3. Click on Features Tab and enable Advance setting pages. It will enable all hidden options in Yoast SEO. As shown below:
4. Now whenever you take your mouse cursor to SEO tab in WordPress dashboard, you will see additional pages options as shown below:
Now we will configure all options one by one.
Inside Configuration of Yoast SEO:
1. Title & Meta: It contains important information about including the title and meta descriptions of the website. Under this option, you will see various tabs. Let’s configure them one by one.
- Homepage: Not necessary if you are using self-designed homepage. It just contains website title, description. your name and company name.
- Post type: Configure all options as shown in below images:
-Posts & Pages:
-Media attachments and Meta Robots:
- Taxonomies: Taxonomies basically deals with Categories and Tags. Configure both the entities as shown below in image:
Leave Archive and Others tabs as it is.
2. Social: This tab contains info about Social Accounts. Paste the URLs in the given fields. That is it.
3. XML Sitemap: XML Sitemap is very necessary to index your website in search engines like Google, Bing etc. Go to XML Sitemap option and enable. Your default Sitemap XML link is https://www.yoursite.com/sitemap_index.xml. Submit it to all the major search engines. As shown below:
Leave rest of the setting as they are.
Advanced Options of Yoast SEO Setup:
4. Advanced Options: In this option, we have different tabs like Breadcrumbs, Permalinks & RSS.
- Breadcrumbs: Please read about breadcrumbs in Google before enabling it. If you have a large site with various categories and posts then you can enable it.
- Permalinks: Permalink is basically URL structure of the website. Keep it simple and clean. Optimize it as shown below:
Note: You can keep Categories if you want.
5.Tools: This option contains some important functions like Bulk edit, File Edit and Import and Export etc.
- Bulk Edit: If you want to make changes to all your posts or pages then you can use this function. I recommend not to perform any action until you have knowledge of it. I will cover this in another article.
- File Editor: File Editor helps you in editing your two basic files: robots.txt and .htaccess. If you want to make changes to these two files then you can make from here without using any FTP Client.
- Import & Export: You can save Yoast SEO setup setting to your computer and in case you reinstall plugin you can easily restore from that stored file.
6. Search Console: Connect your Google webmasters to Yoast SEO Setup with the help of this option. Simply go to Settings and click on Authenticate Button.(Make sure you have submitted your website to Google Webmasters before doing this). Leave all other tabs as it is.
Configuring Yoast SEO Setup is a quite confusing task. But once you correctly configured it, it will boost your SEO Score. Let me give you all steps in brief to configure Yoast SEO:
- Download & Install Yoast SEO
- Enable Advanced Pages Function to open all hidden features
- Setting up Title & Meta
- Setting up Social Accounts(optional)
- Configuring(XML Sitemaps)
- Checking Advanced Options, Tools and Search Console
- Yoast SEO Link Page
If you still have any confusion or difficulty during Yoast SEO setup process then please let me know through comments. You can also contact me via contact us page 🙂